Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mailbox: why did I buy this?


What was I thinking when I ordered this item from mister Wong Wai Ming in Hong Kong? Perhaps I thought I could use it as a handheld stabilizer for low-angle shots. Maybe it was the solid, friendly round design that charmed me. Or the coldshoe mounts- I'm a sucker for coldshoes. (After a year of owning it, I still haven't mounted a second coldshoe on my Sony EX1R for my wireless receiver...)
Maybe I had the ludicrous thought that I could add the C-shaped bracket to my Gini-rig. Perhaps I wanted to use it for parts. Or was it just the fact that it was only US $12,80 including shipping from China?




Who knows... but it has arrived and it's pretty much useless. I don't think I'll ever use it. I have better options for handheld shots, bought just around the corner for 2,50 a piece...

I really tried to think of some good use for this contraption and came up with the combo in the picture below. It looks ridiculous, feels like crap and I will never use it this way. The C-shaped bracket is destined for the bottom drawer, where it will meet a number of other 'interesting but useless' items collecting dust over the years. Anyone interested in this great, multi-purpose, all-metal C-shape bracket?

4 comments:

  1. Nice , Have you still got a link for it.
    I want 1 aswell, Not sure what for,but I'm sure I will find a use for it.

    Gadget of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, you serious? Just for you I added a link in the article. Nothing wrong with this thing, just don't know what to do with it... yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. May be you could use it as a rig for lighting close macro shots with two flashes :) ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea- now all I need to do is buy two flashes... ;-)

    ReplyDelete