Monday, August 1, 2011

Mailbox: Cowboy Studio shoulder support

SALESPERSON BUSY SHOOTING A WALL
I completely forgot I ordered this thing some months ago and had it sent to my father in Florida, where I am right now. This is a cheap shoulder device that I had been reading some good stories about. Especially considering its $25 pricetag... (price has gone up by about $5-10) It's an all-plastic device that you can adjust so it will fit small operators as well as larger ones.
In the picture you see a small operator; a diminuative salesperson pretending to shoot video. I tried it on myself and it fit so snugly the shoulder support with camera hangs on my shoulder without the risk of sliding off.  Nice! I felt I could do nice, smooth pans with this combination.
The support feels strong yet lighweight and comes with a shoulder strap and carrying bag that in my opinion are completely useless. The carrying bag is so thin it does nothing to protect the shoulder support and the shoulder strap hangs in the way.  When a camera is mounted and you use the carrying straps, the whole rig hangs dangerously upside down. I don't have a clue what the idea was behind the shoulder straps- but thanks any way.
Because of the materials used I don't think this would work well with my Sony EX1-R, but if you're a DSLR-shooter looking for a cheap shoulder support, I doubt you'll find a better deal.

LOOKS NICE BUT FORGET THE BAG+SHOULDER STRAP

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jeroen,
    This thing can be very usefull, works great and cost niks,
    I have been using 1 for over 2 years now with a heavy 5D rig + alot of extra's loaded on top and bottom of the camera.
    It cost me 70buck UK,1 of the best products I've used.
    Its funny "Mr Bloom" use to avertise these 3 years ago for Mitcorp, before he became the popstar of DSLRs.

    Your best to mount a manfrotto 577 adapter plate on it so you can swap it fast to your tripod,Slider,whatever else you might want to mount you cam on,
    You'll pay more for the plate than the complete shoulder rig.But I'm sure you already have a couple of these in you gadget bags.

    PS: anynews on the delivery date for the mini gibs?
    have fun in the USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way the shoulder strap goes around your back and under your arm when you are shooting. It keeps the rig on your body so you can let go with both arms .Its not for carrying it arround It part of the surport system.
    The Girl in the advert has no idea. Shes wearing it on the wrong sholder and the strap should be around her back.
    I,ll show you when you get back to NL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for setting me straight on the strap, Neal! (haven't heard anything from the jib-people...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your article is very appreciable keep up we also provide product cervical collars, cervical neck pillow, cervical pillow, cervical pillows for neck pain, cervical support pillow, support pillows for more contact click on :-http://www.healthgenie.in/home-care/pain-relief-aid/shoulder-support-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your article is very appreciable keep up we also provide product cervical collars, cervical neck pillow, cervical pillow, cervical pillows for neck pain, cervical support pillow, support pillows for more contact click on :-http://www.healthgenie.in/home-care/pain-relief-aid/shoulder-support-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete