Saturday, June 2, 2012

Cheap USB 3.0 solution for Mac

Generic USB 3.0 works like a charm

I've been looking for a USB 3.0 solution for my Mac Pro and to my dismay and great surprise, it was like looking for a needle in a haystack... Apple has not embraced USB 3.0, it appeared, because it is geared towards its own thunderbolt technology. It is an annoying strategy -and not very consistent- because USB 2.0, eSata and firewire all work fine on the Mac. So why not USB 3.0? (it is this kind of exclusive marketing that really turns me off and away from big companies. Stop engaging in these arrogant, unfriendly and frustrating behaviours, Apple!!)
So I started looking towards third party solutions. LaCie has always made PCI cards etc for the Mac and I was sure they would have such a device. And they did- but with a bunch of small print. It supports LaCie products exclusively?! Worthless... I looked at more options and there were some manufacturers who offered PCI cards for USB 3.0 for well over $100,-??!! Forget it- I paid €5,- for such a card for my PC!

But these days you can always turn to the Chinese for an affordable solution! For around €20,- this seller offers a PCI-card that added that desired USB 3.0 functionality to my Mac Pro! It's a 2-port card that comes with a mini-CD with software. The seller also sends a small install wizard that is sent separately via email. That's the one I used and it works for the Mac.
I transferred 30GB of video from my Mac Pro to a portable, 1 TB USB 3.0 disk in 5 minutes and 39 seconds. I emptied the disk and plugged it into a USB 2.0 port and the same process took 15 minutes and 25 seconds. So the 3.0 port is around 3 times faster- not bad. I do a lot of camerawork lately whereby the files have to be sent or picked up by clients. I send or exchange the files via USB-sticks and the new USB 3.0 ports make this process a whole lot faster- and thus easier!
(Note: this card works on All Intel Mac Pro Tower from 2006 - 2010 (with PCI-Express slots)

13 comments:

  1. really good things this PCI card, just thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoi Jeroen
    have you one new link this is not working more

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just tried to find the same item but it seems the seller has sold out. I'm sure he'll be getting more of these in because he's been around since 2005. Seller's eBay ID is local338
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting PCIe USB3.0 for ± € 20,00. I can't find this card any more on local338.

    Do you know his contact adress in China. I am importer of PCIe cards for Mac.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I have is his eBay ID, no adress in China, sorry.

      Delete
  5. He has the item, only more expensive now... $ 32.88

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lot more percentage-wise but still a very good deal.

      Delete
  6. Hey do you maybe still have the drivers somewhere.. I have bought a pci express card with only pc drivers... and no luck in finding a working driver for os x.

    thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you give me your email address, I'll send the driver out to ya!

      Delete
  7. Hey do you maybe still have the drivers somewhere? I have bought a pci express card with only pc drivers... and no luck in finding a working driver for osx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm afraid I deleted them after upgrading to an iMac.

    ReplyDelete