Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mailbox: glass filters for my Mattebox

MY OWN STARTER'S KIT

Got my set of 5 glass 4x4 filters in today. I didn't buy my mattebox for the looks, as I've read that many people do. I wanted one primarily because I want to control the amount of light entering my lenses and I wanted a 'one size fits all' solution. Later on I learned about other types of filters: I loved what the Polarizer did to reduce reflections and enhance saturation while the Graduated Filter prevents skies from blowing out. So I put together my own 'Starter's Kit', consisiting of :

  1. .03 ND Filter
  2. .06 ND Filter
  3. .09 ND Filter
  4. .06 ND Grad Filter
  5. Circular Polarizer Filter
Now how hard can it be to prepare this order? Apparently very hard because I was sent a 0.9 Grad ND as opposed to the 0.6 I specified. (Specified twice: once when placing the order and once after I paid. To make sure...)
The filters are new and engraved with the brandname and specifications. No complaints there  but the velcro on one of the pouches partly ripped off the very first time I opened it. No disaster but you don't want that to happen when you unwrap something new... Furthermore: on the seller's eBay store it says:

"Each Filter comes in its individual leather pouch casing."  

Do my casings look like leather to you..?

NYLON POUCH THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN LEATHER
.09 ND GRAD FILTER
.03 ND FILTER
RIPPED VELCRO: NOT A GOOD FIRST IMPRESSION

No comments:

Post a Comment