Sunday, April 24, 2011

Crap or class? The 4,- Meyer-Optik Domiplan 50mm 2.8


I've read opinions on this lens ranging from 'pure crap, avoid' to 'suprisingly nice lens'. The nice thing about lenses is that there is no absolute truth to how good or bad a lens is. Aside from its technical and build qualities, everyone can have an opinion on how well a lens works for them.
In my case, for 4,- I really can't go wrong with the Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Domiplan 50mm 2.8. 4 euro's money doesn't even cover the material that it's made from. It's a very short lens and it is not the most easy glass to handle -it's easy to inadvertently change aperture while focusing- but I like the fact that it's light and compact. Anyhow, here's a few snapshots I made with this ultra-budget prime lens. (click on photo for large view)

PARK PEOPLE: HENNY
TULIPS
PARK PEOPLE: JACQUES
WALKING CANE

2 comments:

  1. What i absolutely love and find unique on Meyer lenses is the brush like bokeh, i personally think this lenses have the most unique and beautiful bokeh i ever saw(and i have seen many as art director) ,pictures what literally resembles oil or watercolor paintings, all from camera with Meyer lenses, specially the Primoplan. Maybe my love and inclination for art and painting influence my reason but i think that majority of photographers are locked down in a box and everything different is ignored. Same whit this lens. Hehe, better for us the artists :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make me want to go out and shoot with this lens again!

      Delete